Supporting schools during COVID-19 with advanced G Suite features and resources
As many educational institutions are facing or planning for closures due to COVID-19, the Google for Education team is providing product solutions, training and resources to help them stay connected. Schools now have free access to advanced features in Hangouts Meet, and to resources using G Suite for distance learning on the Teacher Center, details below. You can learn more on the Google for Education blog and follow us on @GoogleForEdu for updates.
- Advanced Hangouts Meet features
- We are making advanced features in Hangouts Meet available to schools around the globe using G Suite for Education, so that educators can continue connecting with students and facilitating remote learning. This will include the ability to record meetings, livestream up to 100k people and add 250 people to a Hangout. These features will be available at no additional cost to all G Suite for Education customers until July 1, 2020. The team is expediting approvals in the most highly impacted markets, and providing ways for sales team members to request exceptions.
- Training and resources
- As educators and administrators set up contingency plans and consider making classrooms fully virtual, we’re here to help. We have seen educational leaders reaching out to one another, sharing ideas and providing support through Google Educator Groups, Certified Innovators and Trainers, and other social networks, including Twitter and Facebook. Check out this webinar on distance learning strategies, find resources in the Teacher Center, and share ways you support remote learners.
- For educators preparing for potential school closures—or currently facing them—Google for Education tools can help them navigate the challenges of distance learning. We’re committed to helping students and their teachers continue learning outside of school. Check out tips on the Google for Education blog for inspiration and ideas, and submit your own ideas for other educators.
- Sending Chromebooks home for distance learning
- School admins can quickly and securely prepare their school's Chromebooks to go home with students. Chromebooks are remotely managed through the Google Admin console, making it simple for schools and IT administrators to deploy and manage thousands of devices. For example, Admins can restrict device access to managed student accounts or set “Off Hours” when students can sign in with their personal accounts. They may also use URL blacklists to set content restrictions and ensure that students are held to the same responsible-use policies off-campus as they are inside their classrooms. For more information, please see our Help Center article on how to prepare Chromebooks for e-learning days at home.